Welcome官方app彩票下载安装 to the AHS Orchestra! I am looking forward to an exciting year and am very excited to be starting my “sophomore year” as director. I will send newsletters every few weeks. Here are a few important things to know for the beginning of the year…
“Bach to School” Orchestra Social
The first orchestra social of the year will be this Friday, August 11 from 6-9 in the AHS Orchestra room and auditorium. The AHSOA will provide pizza, drinks, and ice cream. The AHS Orchestra Student Leadership team will provide activites and games so that students can better get to know each other. Each new students will be assigned a big brother or sister (upperclassmen) to aid with the transition to the new building. It will be a lot of fun.
Students were asked yesterday to RSVP, and we would live every student to do so by today, Wednesday, August 9 at NOON.
AHS Orchestra Potluck Dinner and Informational Meeting
The annual Orchestra Potluck Dinner and Meeting will be Wednesday, August 16th at 6:30 PM in the AHS Cafeteria. This event is a fun, social gathering for students and parents that will help bring together our orchestra community. In addition, the dinner will serve as a membership meeting for the Alpharetta High School Orchestra Association. The AHSOA board members will present some important information for the upcoming year. Items of discussion will be the orchestra budget, fundraisers, supplies, uniforms, volunteering, and more. For each orchestra student attending, we ask that at least one parent/guardian attend, if possible, but families are welcome! It will be a grand night of food, so bring your appetites!
The food assignments will be determined by the student’s primary instrument and are as follows:
- Violin & Cello – Favorite Main Dish
- Viola – Salad/Vegetables/Fruits
- String Bass & Harp – Appetizers or Desserts
Items of Note:
- Please include an ingredients side card beside the dish for those who have allergies. We have many students with food related allergies to things such as nuts, eggs, milk, etc…
- Please bring a serving utensil for your dish!
- Please bring your checkbook to pay for uniforms, student performance fees, etc.
Student Participation Fees
The Orchestra Student Participation Fee (SPF) is $120 for the 2017-2018 官方app彩票下载安装 year. This payment is due at the Potluck Dinner on August 16th, 2017, so please bring checkbooks to the potluck.
The Alpharetta High School Orchestra Association (AHSOA) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose main purpose is to provide services and financial support to the AHS Orchestra program.
The Student Participation Fee (SPF) is the primary source of funds for the AHSOA. Without the participation fee, our program could not be as robust as it is. Fulton County provides only $1,500 annually for our orchestra program – about $10 per student, which is significantly less than the cost to provide the high quality program that AHS is known for. Sheet music alone will likely cost $3,000 this year!
The SPF for 2017/18 remains the same as the last two years, at $120 per student. Items covered by the SPF include:
- sectional coaches and guest clinicians
- sheet music
- registration and transportation for LGPE and KSU Invitational
- awards at our annual banquet
- dinner at the Bach to School social
- pre-concert dinners for the Winter and Spring Concerts
- movie nights including snacks and drinks
- student music books
- student t-shirts
- equipment repairs and maintenance
- needed capital improvements, including technology items
- instrument lockers
Expenses not covered by the SPF:
- required uniforms (tuxedo for gentlemen and concert dress for ladies)
- optional travel trips
- audition, travel and participation fees for All State, GMEA Solo and Ensemble, Fulton County Honor Orchestra etc.
- end-of-year banquet
Families experiencing difficulty in meeting orchestra financial obligations should contact Dr. Laux or one of the AHSOA Board. Cases will be treated with strict confidence.
The calendar for the year has been set and can be found on our website at http://www./calendar
Please be sure to subscribe to the calendar (Google) or simply mark all of the days on your own calendar.
Our first concert is Thursday, September 28, so save the date!
This is going to be a fantastic year and I look forward to making music with each of you. Please contact me any time if you have questions or concerns. Go Raiders!