It is great to have the 官方app彩票下载安装 year underway! The energy has been incredible and I’m so excited for this year. We are going to have some amazing orchestras this year and we can’t wait to share our music with you in a little over a month. Please read the newsletter below for the latest on what is happening in orchestra…
Our annual Orchestra Potluck Dinner & AHSOA Meeting is next Thursday, August 23 at 6:30 PM in the AHS Cafeteria!
For each orchestra student attending, we ask that at least one parent/guardian attend, if possible, but families are welcome! It will be a grand night of food, so bring your appetites!
The food assignments will be determined by the student’s primary instrument and are as follows:
- Violin & Cello – Favorite Main Dish
- Viola – Salad/Vegetables/Fruits
- String Bass & Harp – Desserts
Items of Note:
- Please include an ingredients side card beside the dish for those who have allergies. We have many students with food related allergies to things such as nuts, eggs, milk, etc…
- Please bring a serving utensil for your dish!
- If you have not already done so, please bring your checkbook to pay for uniforms ($65 for dress, $120 for tuxedo) and student performance fees ($120). We will also have the ability to take credit cards.
Uniforms for new students (and a few returning students) have been ordered! If you have not done so, please pay for your uniform via check in the orchestra dropbox (payable to “AHSOA”).
- Girls Dress: $65
- Boys Tuxedo: $120
This year we are also collecting payments online via PayPal for your convenience. Visit http://www./paypal to pay online.
Program Book Fundraiser
Our 2nd annual program book fundraiser is underway! Please help by approaching local businesses or corporations to gain their support by placing an advertisement (or coupon) in our program book. In addition, parents may take our a personal ad for their favorite string player.
Details about the program book fundraiser, a PDF order form, and information about ordering online can be found here:
All orders are due no later than September 7. We are hoping the program book can be our sole source of fundraising this year. Thank you for your support!
All violin and viola players should have their own shoulder rest. This is a requirement for class. I highly recommend the EVEREST brand of shoulder rests as they are very durable and comfortable. Shoulder rests can be obtained at any of our local string retailers or online through a vendor such as . Please let Dr. Laux know if you have questions.
Student Participation Fees (SPF)
The annual SPF for orchestra is $120 and is due at the Potluck Dinner on August 23. The Alpharetta High School Orchestra Association (AHSOA) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose main purpose is to provide services and financial support to the AHS Orchestra program.
The Student Participation Fee (SPF) is the primary source of funds for the AHSOA. Without the participation fee, our program could not be as robust as it is. Fulton County provides only $1,500 annually for our orchestra program – about $10 per student, which is significantly less than the cost to provide the high quality program that AHS is known for. Sheet music alone will likely cost several thousand dollars this year!
The SPF for 2018/19 remains the same as the last two years. Items covered by the SPF include:
- sectional coaches and guest clinicians
- sheet music
- registration and transportation for LGPE and KSU Invitational
- awards at our annual banquet
- dinner at the Bach to School social
- pre-concert dinners for the Winter and Spring Concerts
- movie nights including snacks and drinks
- student music books
- student t-shirts
- equipment repairs and maintenance
- needed capital improvements
- instrument lockers
Expenses not covered by the SPF:
- required uniforms (tuxedo for gentlemen and concert dress for ladies)
- optional travel trips
- audition, travel and participation fees for All State, GMEA Solo and Ensemble, Fulton County Honor Orchestra etc.
- end-of-year banquet
Families experiencing difficulty in meeting orchestra financial obligations should contact Dr. Laux or one of the AHSOA Board members. Cases will be treated with strict confidence.
Our Beethoven-inspired fall concert will be held on Tuesday, September 25 at 6:30 PM in the AHS Auditorium. Each orchestra will perform a piece by master composer Ludwig van Beethoven. In addition we will be joined by the WBMS and HMS 8th grade orchestras. It will be a great evening of music!
Midwest Clinic Trip for Symphony Members
Parents, a letter went 官方app彩票下载安装 regarding the Midwest Clinic trip in December. Please ask your child for the letter if you have not seen it. I’m also happy to send you a copy upon request.
Students, if you have not yet completed the OBOY assignment, it is overdue!! Please take care of that immediately.
This year, each class has their own calendar of events that will show major events such as concerts, and also assessments, assignments and their due dates. Please use the MEMBERS menu of the calendar, then select ASSIGNMENT CALENDARS, then your orchestra class from the list.